Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Upcoming Releases - June 14 - 20

This is such a hectic week at school, the final one before exams, and there is so much to do that I almost forgot about this post. I helped chaperone prom last Friday, which was very interesting.  I don't really remember my own prom, it seems so long ago, and I am amazed at how much money these students spend, they stay for dinner, and they leave right afterwards.  It blows me away.  I also got a new blog look that I am absolutely thrilled about, but have not yet had a chance to do anything with, even thank Emily who was such a great help in putting this new look together.  I can't wait to get my hands on my blog and begin putting the finishing touches on it.  Thank you Emily so much!!!

But I actually enjoy doing this post as it helps me focus on books that are being published and I use it as a list of books that I really want to read, especially if I have not yet purchased or borrowed them from the library.  So I decided to take a break from marking and take a sneak peek at what is being released this week.  This is what I found:

The Ogre of Oglefort
by Eva Ibbotson
Release Date: June 14, 2010

When a Hag, an orphan boy and a troll called Ulf get sent to rescue a princess from an ogre, they expect it to be a fairly standard magical mission.  But the ogre is depressed, the princess doesn't want to be rescued - and the ogre's dead wife is turning in her grave.  The Norns who rule their fates decide to take things in hand - will the ogre meet a bloody end, or will he get a happy ending?

This one is for my son.
The Confession of Catherine Howard
by Suzannah Dunn
Release Date: June 15, 2010

Eighteen-year-old Catherine Howard thought she could have it all.  Told twenty years later from the perspective of her friend, the novel tells the life of this damaged, dangerous, and short-lived Queen.









Sea
by Heidi R. Kling
Release Date: June 15, 2010

You can read my review of this novel here.














This is Where We Live
by Janelle Brown
Release Date: June 15, 2010

This is the story of Claudia and Jeremy, a young married couple who are on the verge of making it.  Her first film was a sensation at Sundance and is about to have its theatrical release, and he's assembled a new band is a few songs short of a new album.  They've recently purchased a new home with the magical assistance of an adjustable-rate mortgage.  But a series of seismic events - the tanking of Claudia's film, the return of Jeremy's ex-girlfriend, and the staggering adjustment of their monthly mortgage payments - deal a crushing blow to their dreams of a bohemian life and their professional aspirations and make them questions their values and their shared vision of a future.


The Day I Died
by Polly Courtney
Release Date: June 15, 2010

A story of losing one's memory and trying to figure out the truth of who she is.











The Reinvention of Moxie Roosevelt
by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel
Release Date: June 15, 2010

Moxie Roosevelt Kipper has endured thirteen years of being an ordinary girl with an unordinary name.  Now that she's entered boarding school, the time is ripe to reinvent herself.  But at boarding school, Moxie isn't the only one who isn't what she claims to be.








Holy Water
by James P. Othmer
Release Date: June 15, 2010

A funny novel about downsizing, outsourcing, globalization, third-world dictatorships, and vasectomies.  As a big fan of The Futurist, I am looking forward to this novel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment