Wednesday, December 15, 2010

New Year's Resolutions to Aim For

New Year’s Resolutions

As New Year's Eve approaches, we often are conflicted as to what we want to do and where we want to go on one of the biggest party nights of the year.  I know one of the biggest concerns for my husband and I has always been, Who can we find to babysit on this night? or Who is having a party and inviting the kiddies too?  For many others however, the big struggle has always been to come up with a great New Year's Resolution and then sticking to it longer than one week after the festivities are over.  I myself have often broken my resolution within several days after making it, and then feeling guilty over it.  Who hasn't set a new goal such as get fit, lose few pounds, maybe do something new, or whatever it may be, and suddenly we're on the tail end of another year and you haven't accomplished any of your resolutions.  Sound familiary to anyone out there?

The E- Advisor Blog has come up with a list of "10 New Year's Resolutions You Can Actually Keep".  Instead of going for that unachievable New Year's Resolution, it asks you to consider resolutions that are more reasonable and attainable.  Sounds reasonable, doesn't it? 

1) Be Nicer to People - What a nicer place this world would be if everyone followed this resolution.  It would make commuting to work in the morning a lot easier.  And Christmas shopping would not be such a chore.
2) Get More Sleep - I like this one as I make this resolution on a weekly basis and have yet been unable to attain this goal.  It does ask you to change what you are currently doing and to take a look at your current schedule to see what can be altered, but it is more difficult that you think.  I might aim for this one this year.
3) Give Blood - With blood banks in a desperate situation, it seems reasonable to include this in your New Year's Resolution.  It seems odd to include this on a list of personal resolutions, but helping others is certainly a worthwhile goal.
4) Indulge in Moderation - There is nothing wrong with losing weight or quitting smoking, but maybe we need to do it in small steps instead of quitting everything.  Part of my problem is that I always intended to quit junk food or quit whatever completely, and that is not possible for me.  I've learned that moderation is a good thing.
5) Floss Regularly - This resolution would make my dentist very, very happy.  I do this one already.
6) Stop Overspending - With the dire warnings of household debt looming on the horizon, this seems pretty reasonable.  I've been watching "Til Debt Do Us Part" quite a bit lately and it has scared me into leaving my credit cards at home.  My husband and I have decided to use cash lately and it has curbed our spending by almost 80%.  It's pretty amazing!! 
7) Do Your Best At Work - We always complain about our jobs, but my hubby and I are grateful we have such great jobs.  Yes, I complain, but the reality is that I enjoy my job and do enjoy going to work.  I just don't like getting up at "O' dark and ugly" every single morning.   The job can be draining and I get tired and it can be challenging, so it's natural to complain once in a while.  It doesn't mean that I don't want to be there.  I will admit that I love the snowdays when they come, but they're just bonus days.
8) Do Exercises That Make You Happy - I love to run, but since my ACL surgery, running has been an issue and I haven't found anything that substitutes.  I power walk now, but it's not the same and I have a hard time getting motivated.  My resolution is to keep plugging and find that exercise that will get me addicted again and get me motivated.  Maybe yoga?
9) Recycle - I have to admit there are some places when I travel that do not recycle and it's frustrating.  I don't want to name places, but where I live we have a pretty healthy recycling program and I have a hard time throwing cans and plastics in the garbage when I travel.  I would love to see more recycling programs in some places.
10) Give More Affection - A definite resolution for me as I tend to be somewhat reserved.  I am working on this one all of the time.

Check out Jennifer's blog and see what changes and resolutions you can make in 2011.  I'd love to hear about them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment