Thursday, May 19, 2011

Enquiring Minds & A Little Personal Time!

This Monday is Victoria Day in Canada.  And while most people recognize Queen Victoria for what she has accomplished, I also believe most people celebrate her today because of the holiday.  I know I am looking forward to a three-day weekend; three blissful days at the trailer where I can hopefully relax and read, go hiking and biking, and do some more sightseeing trips with the kiddies.  And hopefully, we will get a break from the RAIN!!!!!  

Enquiring Minds Want to Know is hosted by Dollycas's Thoughts.  It's a series of three fun questions that allows readers to get a tiny glimpse into the personal lives of bloggers, something we don't always see because we focus so much on books.  I also tend to guard my privacy, almost too much, so it's nice to do a post once in a while, and share a little bit about me.

1. When you were little what did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to be a WITCH!!!  It sounds weird, but I was fascinated by all things paranormal and my mom told me that my goal as a child was to be a witch.  If I couldn't, then I wanted to be what most little girls wanted to be be, a princess.  The paranormal thing is still central to my life, and I tend to be drawn by novels that have paranormal elements to them first. 

2. Did you go to college?
I went to university, three of them and have three degrees.  I have an Honours Bachelor's Degree in Physical Education, a Bachelor's Degree in Education, and a Master's Degree in Education.   I thrive on schooling and was also accepted to pursue my studies for my Doctorate several years ago, something I have been deferring due to time limitations plus I have two children who need me more than I need a Doctorate's at the moment.  I figure when my children are off to university, I will have more time to pursue further education. 

3. Do you attend your high school or college reunions?
Not a chance.  It's not that I didn't enjoy university or high school, but I have no desire to revisit old haunts.  I tend to live in the present and don't really revisit the past very often.  I have no desire whatsoever to go to any of my reunions.


Question: In contrast to last week’s question–What do you think of censoring books BECAUSE of their intended age? Say, books too “old” for your kids to read?


I'm not in favour of censoring books at all.  I would not have been happy as a child being told I couldn't read something because of my age as I always thought it depended on your maturity level as well as your individual knowledge and experience.  I was well-travelled and my parents always insisted that I learned things about the outside world, that my experience was always greater than what was around me, so I always felt I was more mature than other people my age.  Plus, as I was very widely read, I learned a lot from newspapers, journals, encyclopedias, novels, and so on, that I felt I could handle reading anything that came before me.  If I had questions about what I was reading, I always felt comfortable asking my parents, and we had some great dinner discussions because of the questions I asked.  I encourage my children to do the same thing in their reading.  Obviously, they will come across concepts they will not fully understand until they are older, but does that mean they shouldn't read the books?  No way, not in my world.  It's generated fantastic discussions in my household too, and I want that to continue.  There are many levels to learning.



0 comments:

Post a Comment